SKY CALL FOR ART (Individual Submission Form & Guidelines)
In planning our next exhibition, we are reminded of our first at 780 Valencia, the “TIDES OF CHANGE”, which was the beginning of our efforts over the past year to harness the power of art to raise awareness of environmental degradation and injustice. Author bell hooks reminds us that “...The function of art is to do more than tell it like it is—it’s to imagine what is possible.”
SKY is the culmination of The Drawing Room’s exhibition series at 780 Valencia Street about the environment, following LAND, Adaptations, and our current show, SEA. In these exhibitions, we ask artists to think about the following questions: What is possible? How have you, as an artist, been impacted by environmental degradation and climate change? How are you impacting the environment in your art practice and daily existence? How can your work and art communicate awareness and the specific needs for change? What is/are your call/s to action?
Art can impress upon us in a way that data and graphs often fail to and can appeal to our senses and engage us cognitively in new ways. We are asking artists to bring works that will create an impression and create impact.
The upcoming SKY exhibition will take place February 4- March 25, 2023 at 780 Valencia Street. This local call to Bay Area artists will combine TWO curatorial approaches: both a “salon style” inclusive portion as well as a site specific and multimedia call. This is actually TWO open calls with two separate submission forms. This exhibition will be a hybrid of our previous exhibitions of both Adaptations: LAND, and our other open calls for art in that we will hope to include most submissions; however, we will be limiting which areas of the gallery will host the salon style submissions with the goal of allowing as many artists as possible to participate within a limited space. Thus it will be imperative that artists carefully follow and stay within the parameters of the call.
To be included in our “salon style” portion with a single entry, the guidelines are as follows:
- 1 submission/work of art per artist, up to 3 images of the submitted piece.
- All 2D works must be no larger than 48” wide and no smaller than 12” in each direction.
- Sculptural works must be clearly conceived in terms of how and where they are installed for both safety and security purposes.
- Multimedia works requiring power must have a clear description about how the work attaches to the wall, and how best to install on the wall.
- Work requiring audio, projection, tv, etc must submit their work through the site specific call and form, NOT the salon style form.
- Submissions of single works will be at midnight on January 5th and will be strictly enforced, given that we have less space devoted to salon style installation.
- Please consider the theme thoughtfully and only submit if you feel that your work truly relates to the theme of SKY. We are hoping for submissions that will address environmental degradation, climate justice and the realities of our time.
- The Drawing Room takes a 50% commission fee and we ask that all works that are not site specific be listed for sale. Please price your work accordingly. We handle all sales, taxes, insurances, shipping and handling of works. Unsold works must be picked up within 5 days of exhibition ending.
- SUBMISSION FEE: we ask all participants to donate towards these exhibitions with a sliding scale submission fee of $5-25. This fee is to help cover some our costs but does not exclude anyone for participating. You can DONATE YOUR FEE HERE
Exhibition Dates: Feb 3 - March 26, 2023
2D/3D Single Artwork submission deadline: January 5, 2023 midnight
Site Specific Installation Proposals deadline: January 8, 2023 midnight
Artists notifications: January 10, 2023
Artwork Delivery: January 17th-21st, 2023
Site Specific Install: January 20th-27th, 2023.
Exhibition Opening Reception: February 4th, 2023. 4-9pm
THIS CALL FOR ART IS NOW CLOSED