SKY CALL FOR ART (Site-Specific Installation and Multimedia Form & Guidelines)
In planning our next exhibition, we are reminded of our first at 780 Valencia, the “TIDES OF CHANGE”, which was the beginning of our efforts over the past year to harness the power of art to raise awareness of environmental degradation and injustice. Author bell hooks reminds us that “...The function of art is to do more than tell it like it is—it’s to imagine what is possible.”
SKY is the culmination of The Drawing Room’s exhibition series at 780 Valencia Street about the environment, following LAND, Adaptations, and our current show, SEA. In these exhibitions, we ask artists to think about the following questions: What is possible? How have you, as an artist, been impacted by environmental degradation and climate change? How are you impacting the environment in your art practice and daily existence? How can your work and art communicate awareness and the specific needs for change? What is/are your call/s to action?
Art can impress upon us in a way that data and graphs often fail to and can appeal to our senses and engage us cognitively in new ways. We are asking artists to bring works that will create an impression and create impact.
The upcoming SKY exhibition will take place February 4- March 25, 2023 at 780 Valencia Street. This local call to Bay Area artists will combine TWO curatorial approaches: both a “salon style” inclusive portion as well as a site specific and multimedia call. This is actually TWO open calls with two separate submission forms. This exhibition will be a hybrid of our previous exhibitions of both Adaptations: LAND, and our other open calls for art in that we will hope to include most submissions; however, we will be limiting which areas of the gallery will host the salon style submissions with the goal of allowing as many artists as possible to participate within a limited space. Thus it will be imperative that artists carefully follow and stay within the parameters of the call.
For site specific installation and multimedia proposals:
- Installation proposals must be well-developed and executable at the time of submission.
- 3D schematic is available HERE.
- Once the proposal is received we will be in touch about scheduling a site visit.
- Artists are responsible for installing their own works and providing their own supplies and props (pedestals, furniture).
- For multimedia works we can provide projectors and tvs, however artists are responsible for the integration to the device and formatting files accordingly.
- All artists submitting works for site specific placement must visit 780 Valencia prior to submitting a proposal. We are allocating specific areas just for these types of works so it’s imperative that you have a clear sense of the space.
- The Drawing Room takes a 50% commission fee and we ask that all works that are not site specific be listed for sale. Please price your work accordingly if applicable. For site specific works, you can opt to sell prints, and multiples etc and if possible.
- SUBMISSION FEE: we ask all participants to donate towards these exhibitions with a sliding scale submission fee of $5-25. This fee is to help cover some our costs but does not exclude anyone for participating. You can DONATE YOUR FEE HERE
Gallery Areas available for site specific proposals (3D schematic HERE):
Front gallery fitting rooms
The “book room”
Concrete wall between the “Trees”
Room at the top of the Mezzanine stairs
Sink room (previously installed as a cave)
Mezzanine landing concrete walls or ceiling
Glass railings around mezzanine and up stairs
These calls are for Bay Area based artists who must live/work in one of the following Bay Area counties: San Francisco, Marin, San Mateo, Alameda, Santa Clara, Contra Costa.
Exhibition Dates: Feb 3 - March 26, 2023
2D/3D Single Artwork submission deadline: January 5, 2023 midnight
Site Specific Installation Proposals deadline: January 8, 2023 midnight
Artists notifications: January 10, 2023
Artwork Delivery: January 17th-21st, 2023
Site Specific Install: January 20th-27th, 2023.
Exhibition Opening Reception: February 4th, 2023. 4-9pmThis Call for Art is Now Closed!